I've been forcing myself to come out with some new stuff. The Team Fortress gaming scene in Singapore has been heating up, and the recent rebranding for my clan seems to be gaining us alot of credibility. XsT has been a great chance to flex some design communication muscle - the media is the message.

It's quite interesting to see the reaction of people toward viral marketing media particularly within a non-occupational, recreational, yet extremely competitive environment. It's interesting to note that many gamers are extremely susceptible to marketing like this. From my observation over the months, it appears that gamers are all very "graphic" people, they love that which stimulates their visual senses. Stuff like Action Movies, Anime, Comics, Graphic Design and Porn are all part of the visual culture of this demographic.
These are part of a series of "propaganda" material I've quickly stitched together for XsT. They are formatted for use as decals and personal avatars in-game.

The interesting thing is that these collateral material has generated curiosity and intrigue. Everyone loves a flashy punk graphic now and then. I grunged these up to look like war-torn communist posters. As any advertising guru would observe, the arbitrary flavour text directed specifically at the target demographic generated talk. Talk, is always good. Playing upon XsT's long-standing game presence, the status has been elevated beyond "oldbies" making a comeback.
We've already been receiving alot of positive feedback about our "clan identity" and I can safely say, we have extremely good gaming presence because of this. Randoms have been sending us private messages asking us whether they can join up or add us to their friend listings.
I'm not sure how much of marketing and communiction design can be applied to something like this but I'm going to take it to as far as it can go.
No comments:
Post a Comment