Monday, May 12, 2008

Nodes and Mud Wasps

Ever since I tried out the scale effects for the arowana scales, I've been looking for even greater control over the generation of graphics. Given, it doesn't look as "random" as some of my earlier graphic generations, but this exploration is really enforcing the order amidst the chaos. I simulated the arowana scales by planting "nodes" around the flash canvas. This allowed my the generate the scales which seemed as if they were stacking on top of one another - it also made them look like they were contouring with the body of the fish.

Since that graphic, I've looked into tightening the numbers and variables even more. Restricting rampant growth has produced extremely fascinating results. It seems almost fractal, but I'm not sure myself because the algorithm I'm using isn't a fractal or mandelbrot equation. It's merely a self-replicating for loop.



The first image is a screenshot of the "node" positionings that creates the effect. I've put an overlay of the resulting image so the locations of the points of origin are clearer. I've themed this one around the imagery of a mud wasp.

The blue mud wasp in particular has a very great significance to me because my room is constantly a victim of invasion. The problem with modular ikea shelving units is that they come with little holes on the walls of the shelves so that the height of each shelve can be easily adjusted and customised. The problem however, is that these little holes are perfect for these mud wasps to MAKE THEIR NESTS. I constantly find myself having to break open the sandy enclosures and clear the grub with a vacuum cleaner.

In the event the wasp grubs have hatched and flown away, I'm left to clear up the remnant INSECT CORPSES which they left behind before swarms of ants get to them.

So yeah, mud wasps.

No comments: