
I've recently found that I actually do own a pen tablet. Well, I didn't buy it, but someone did because it just surfaced from one of the storage units one day. Anyway, here's some of the fun I've been having with it.
Of course it's not a Wacom. But, drawing curves has never been easier. Given, I have to reshape every single line I draw in Flash again to smooth it out, but hey, if it's free, one cannot complain.
I'm revisiting and exploring my deepsea depictions again with my newfound asset. I suppose you could associate these abstractions to "sea spores" of some sort. It's really out there to be honest, but I guess that's what abstraction is partially about - similarities, free association, feeling and doing. I'm not sure if it shows in the aesthetics of my recent stuff, but I've been tuning in to almost excessive amounts of trance music. It's weird because there was a time I felt trance was boring and I went on to listen to more electro-house stuff. Then again, it could perhaps have been the context I was living in at that point. Sydney seems to like its share of dirty house and electro.

Working with a pen tablet certainly makes things more fluid. Even though I have to painstakingly manage every line I draw with the tablet later in Flash, it feels like all the lines I drew were exactly the way I wanted them. Then again, that's probably a facet of procedural artwork where we all wear funny hats.

So yeah this is it, the zOMGSUPERPEN. It's surprisingly pressure sensitive. Dunno how long it's going to last though. You know how long these OEM USB products thingos last. But oh well, hope I'll have enough toying around with it to finally convince me to buy a real Wacom (or a second SuperPen! AHahA!)
Speaking of stylus and tablets, I've gone to further beef up my DS Lite. Sean introduced me to homebrew painting software for the DS last year but it was only till recently that I actually bother to flash the firmware and update some of the homebrew kits. My DS is now running Colours (or Colors if you insist on American spelling), this nifty piece of software that acts like a pocket canvas tablet, saves and exports to jpeg. I hardly export stuff out though, most of the time I use it to scribble down ideas I got for overall appearances of randomly generated graphics.

That's the DS there with a new generation I've been dreaming up. It's kinda similar to the fragmenting into a gazillion pieces ones that I've been doing but I don't know... might put a twist on this one. Still building up the graphics libraries and tweaking the code abit though. Epic homebrew software.
No comments:
Post a Comment