Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Botany Bay Rock Formations

I'm quite glad that I took this Marine Environment/Biology general elective. It's really changed my perception and educated me in terms of global marine issues and life. We went on a field trip and being the tourist I am, I brought the D70 with me.

I just finished the exam for this subject last week, don't think I'm going to do well, but I'll pass. Anyway, now that that's over, I went through and uploaded some of the more inspiring pictures I took


The way in which water meets the land on the coast, particularly on the western Pacific Ocean was rather amazing. I never got this chance to see age-old rock formations on such epic magnitude. Botany Bay is a large estuary basin, carved out over many millennia, and it shows.


Lying around the basin was also the multitude of foliage. Shallow roots, waxy leaves. I found a dozen dead moths in every square meter around them.


I can't remember the process where small sediment get washed up to the coast and 'drill' the coastal rock formations. This was secondary 2 geography, if anyone remembers please tell me. It's not attrition.


It was an inspiring trip and I think I was the only f'ken geek to walk around with a DSLR taking pictures of rocks. The other people on the excursion were like, "Wtf is he doing?". I'm not exactly sure myself really, but it was a sublime experience, in front of what was the fringe of the Pacific Ocean, feeling the warm sea breeze and the perpetual construction of detail in the rock formations. Pam, Sid, you guys seriously missed out -- but I'm sure I missed out on Godskitchen in Melbourne too =(

No comments: